Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (official thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is an action role-playing open world video game developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks. It is the fifth installment in The Elder Scrolls action role-playing video game series, following The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Skyrim was released on November 11, 2011 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Skyrim's main story revolves around the player character's efforts to defeat Alduin, a Dragon god who is prophesied to destroy the world. Set two hundred years after Oblivion, the game takes place in the fictional province of Skyrim, upon the continent of Tamriel, and the planet of Nirn. The open world gameplay of the Elder Scrolls series returns in Skyrim; the player can explore the land at will and ignore or postpone the main quest indefinitely. Skyrim has received universal acclaim from critics and was a commercial success as well, shipping over 7 million copies to retailers within the first week of release

stage dives & high fives Spitty's Avatar
    You shoulda made this thread when I asked you to like 4 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitty View Post
    You shoulda made this thread when I asked you to like 4 months ago.
    I did make one on the other forum, but it was neglected. This time around, I'll use this thread 99% of the time even if I'm the only one posting.

Good.

That was in all caps.

In 3 posts in a row news: Now that the PS3 version has had all the framerate bullshit patched out of it, I am very seriously considering purchasing the game soon.

Jim, I uh... I think we have to have a talk. I know you you first started you said maybe you'll just try it once. A few minutes of Skyrim wouldn't hurt, you said. Well, Jim, I those few minutes turned into a few hours. Then days. Weeks. Months. It has been months, Jim. I'm only saying this because I care about you, but I think you've got a problem. You're starting to push away your friends and family. All you talk about all day is are frost trolls and arrows to knees. You've got to get a hold of yourself, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitty View Post
    In 3 posts in a row news: Now that the PS3 version has had all the framerate bullnuts patched out of it, I am very seriously considering purchasing the game soon.
    The end of one of my quest lines is bugged, although it doesn't affect much (the behavior of an NPC). I was still able to complete it. I have had two framerate issues in 130 hours of play and the second one was due to playing for too long (it's probably good to save your game and restart the PS3 once every 4-5 hours) and I've had a couple freezes. All in all, the numerous pros outweigh the few cons.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Jim, I uh... I think we have to have a talk. I know you you first started you said maybe you'll just try it once. A few minutes of Skyrim wouldn't hurt, you said. Well, Jim, I those few minutes turned into a few hours. Then days. Weeks. Months. It has been months, Jim. I'm only saying this because I care about you, but I think you've got a problem. You're starting to push away your friends and family. All you talk about all day is are frost trolls and arrows to knees. You've got to get a hold of yourself, man.

Seriously... I can't put down the controller. I say to myself, "Jim... you have to do something today," to no avail.

My brain says reward yourself with Skyrim for several hours for 10 minutes of household chores.

There's too much to do!

If I could live in any town/city in Skyrim, it would be Whiterun. It's the heart of Skyrim.

I like Windhelm, but it's depressing and cold. Reminds me of a plague-ridden town from the Dark Ages.

Markarth offers the best protection but it's far away from everything and is plagued by Forsworn.

Riften is rife with crime and corruption. Plus it's far away from everything.

I wouldn't mind staying at the College of Winterhold. It seems well secured.

Places like Riverwood and Rorikstead offer nothing. You're completely vulnerable to bandits and creatures.

Jim bangs his wife to The Dragon Born Comes song.

When he comes, I bet he says "Fus ro dah!".

I've actually considered doing that. Is that sad?

No, I think it would be hilarious. I'm not sure if a girl would think the same though. Especially if she knew what it was from.

I'm more old school, I prefer shouting "Feel the force!" prior to climax.

My WoW guild lost many, many players to this when it was released, they eventually returned, then went again for star wars -_-

..they haven't returned yet from that one though

I never picked up the elder scrolls series at all, is this one dependant on the others, or can you play this and not worry about the others?

Other than lore Elder Scroll games are pretty unrelated to each other. There might be a thing or two you'll catch but overall it's not important to play any of the previous games.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I'm more old school, I prefer shouting "Feel the force!" prior to climax.

My WoW guild lost many, many players to this when it was released, they eventually returned, then went again for star wars -_-

..they haven't returned yet from that one though

I never picked up the elder scrolls series at all, is this one dependant on the others, or can you play this and not worry about the others?
    I never played any of the others. The game does very well filling me in on all the history.

I may go back and play Oblivion and Morrowind. I would love a re-release of those games with Skyrim's engine though.

I tried WoW for the first time a few months ago and didn't like it. I want to try Star Wars though and would be more than willing to play an Elder Scrolls MMO.

Can't wait to get home. I'm going to spend another weekend not doing anything else but play this.

To-Do:

- Dark Brotherhood quest line

Currently, I have three small jobs to do.

- College of Winterhold quest line

I have to go to some far-off ruin near The Rift to meet up with some Thalmor.

- Misc quests

I have to find a Priest of some Daedra and bring him back to the abandoned house in Markarth to get some bad-ass Daedric mace.

Also gotta get 4 more fire salts for Riften blacksmith.

Also gotta get 1 more flawless amethyst for Talen-Jei in Riften.

Jim, how well can you speak Russian?

And the Daedric Prince haunted house is cool. I think everything that has to with Daedra in that game is cool.

Also, the girl that I'm currently dating has a giant Skyrim poster in her room. Never played it though : /.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
    Jim, how well can you speak Russian?

And the Daedric Prince haunted house is cool. I think everything that has to with Daedra in that game is cool.

Also, the girl that I'm currently dating has a giant Skyrim poster in her room. Never played it though : /.
    I'm at an intermediate level with my Russian. I haven't practiced in a bit though.

Daedra are pretty damn cool. I just did the one where you get the Wabbajack. Also finished the one with Sam G. and the staff.

It's crazy how it seems like you find something different every time you leave a town. I just discovered some mage's cottage outside Whiterun. Went inside, killed him, and looted his home.

I got Skyrim for the PC. This is a MUCH better experience, imo. Graphics appear more sharp and everything loads faster. It's tough getting used to the controls though, as I'm not much of a PC gamer so I'm not accustomed to a mouse and keyboard.

For this one, I decided to go with a High Elf that has a Nord-ish appearance (muscles, beard, long hair), but I might change it up again. I want to play this one with a mage.

SIGNATURE DELETED DUE TO MALWARE CLEAN UP YOUR ACT ASSHOLE

- The Administration

So I finished the College. That one was pretty fun.. and the Archmage's quarters is awesome.

Must be a pretty pathetic school though if they just let you become the boss.

Also finished Dark Brotherhood. WOW! That one was intense at the end, when you find the Sanctuary in pieces. Poor Festus too.

I think Shadowmere bugged for me. He's not showing up wherever I fast travel to. Last I saw him, he ran into a building and couldn't get out. He must still be in there.

The new Sanctuary in Dawnstar is pretty good. I'm now wearing the Brotherhood's gear to show off my allegiance.

I think I prefer light armor.

Having fun decorating my home in Windhelm. I have no intention of using any of the others, although they're bought and fully decorated. I keep my wife and some stuff in Breezehome though, as that will always be the hub as well as a home. Plus I can't take Lydia to Hjerim, hahaha.

We need an intervention.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
    We need an intervention.
    Just because I spend my days traversing Skyrim instead of leaving my own home doesn't mean I have a problem.

Although Alaska looks a hell of a lot like Skyrim.

In other news, Shadowmere is an amazing horse.