Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's Lose Fat 3

Let's Lose Fat 3

Again, inspired by Jim's original "lets loose fat" thread

how many of you are gym enthusiasts?
    or fatty's who want advice on how to improve?

I've spent a large part of the last year studying nutrition, and have gone from a 210lbs 38% body fat monster, to a nice sleek 14% body fat 150lbs sexy piece of ass.

Post your workout routines, questions about exercise or nutrition, or anything else fitness related here.

The basics of losing fat are as follows:

1) Eat 500 below your maintenance calories a day
    2) Get 1g of protein for every 1lbs of lean body mass you have, a day
    3) Workout at least 3 times a week with weights, using a weight where 8 - 12 reps is the max you can do... targeting every major muscle group at least once

If you are bulking, and not cutting (losing fat) go for 200-300 above your maintenance, and a bit more protein.

I'll go into details of these 3 things for those who want it elaborated on, just ask. But these 3 rules are the basics of fat loss, everything else is just tweaks here and there.

I've been lazy since I've basically realized my goals of getting below 15% body fat, and only go to the gym 2 - 3 times a week now, doing a full body workout each time.. and not really paying much attention to my diet.
    Last edited by Gohan3k; 02-20-2012 at 07:27 PM.

How does one find what their lean body mass is a day? I'm guessing by finding what % body fat you are, correct?

Yup, find a gym machine, or get a tape measure and use this calculator:

http://www.linear-software.com/online.html (using the tape measure method all the way on the right)

Once you know your lean body weight, that's how many g of protein you should eat in a day... and if you want to know your maintanance (the amount of calories you eat to maintain your current weight) the formula is

Maint calories (BMR) = 370 + (Lean Body Mass * 21.6)

And if you eat 500 less calories than that a day, you will lose a pound a week, and this combined with doing the weight exercises will mean the weight you loose is mostly fat and not muscle.

Of course, you can add the calories you burn off during excercise if you want to eat more. those are difficult to accurately calculate though and are almost always over estimated

I've been a big bad fatty for the past few months. Going to the gym sporadically and eating a lot of fast food and soda. I'm noticing that most of my gains from last year are starting to disappear but I can't seem to get myself in the right mindset at the moment.

My problem is always consistency. I can't seem to eat right/exercise the way I like for more than a month. Weight loss, like all self-transformative endeavors, requires a change in lifestyle; in how one thinks and feels. I always seem to fall into a period of laziness as soon as I realize that I've made a lot of progress.
    SIGNATURE DELETED DUE TO MALWARE CLEAN UP YOUR ACT ASSHOLE

- The Administration

What kind of exercises with weights would you suggest?

It depends on what your goals are.

For strength I think barbell exercises are the best. Squats, deadlifts, cleans, etc.

I suggest this book for everyone to check out. It's called Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. You can find a pdf online. He really goes into the science of why these exercises are superior, especially for beginners. He also outlines a very comprehensive guide that you can follow and increase your lifts substantially over time.

- The Administration

I've been a lard-ass since middle school, and like that I shall remain.

I just like fast food too much, and I'm lazy *shrugs*

stage dives & high fives Spitty's Avatar
    Lose*

My intention was to lose 30 lbs. by May-June but I don't think I'll make that goal. I haven't eaten healthy in a few days (some junk and soda here and there) so I haven't dropped any weight in about a week. I'm hoping to get back to eating good again soon.

My goal was to reach 200 lbs. by May-June so I could spend the Summer getting to my second goal. I was 214 in September, but real life happened. I got a new job and the last time I was in a gym was the day of my interview. Consequentially I gained 15 lbs. of fat.

My current schedule makes it impossible to get into a gym routine. I'm working 13 hour shifts at the moment. We're supposedly moving to 4 10's once we hire on a new hand so I'm hoping to have enough time then.

Giving up alcohol until mid-April after a particularly messy Saturday. Erm.. that's healtgi, right?

I've been drinking way too much myself lately. Still no incident calling for me to take a break though. Unless you count running that red light in front of that cop the other night.

Re: Weight loss, I did a P90X/Insanity hybrid for two months last year and lost 28 lbs. Just putting that out there.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Re: Weight loss, I did a P90X/Insanity hybrid for two months last year and lost 28 lbs. Just putting that out there.
    How long?

I have both, but Insanity looks like something I wouldn't be able to do for a long time.

I can do a P90X workout for maybe 15 minutes.

I did Insanity for a while last year. I had really good results too, but it definitely took me a while to work up the stamina and endurance. At first I could only get through it with plenty of breaks. After some time I started pausing the video when I took a break so I wouldn't miss anything. After I finally refused to take any breaks, I really felt myself advancing, both physically and mentally.

In fact, I may do some Insanity cardio today. I think it's a great way to supplement working out with weights.

- The Administration

I don't like insanity, because, I firmly believe the key to losing FAT is, controlled caloric deficit + weight training, and have the results to back this claim up, and did tons of research to initially come up with the theory.

There are some people who truly don't have time for the gym, but 90% of people who say they don't, are just lazy. 3 hours a week, and a controlled diet is all you need.

Counting Calories
    I recommend using either the myfitnesspal app if you have a smart phone, or website, to track your calories and if you're getting enough protein.

My Current "casual" workout
    A good workout program to start with if you want to go to the gym 3 days a week, or every other day, would be one that targets every major muscle type once.

Here's what I currently do, since I am in school and don't have a lot of time (home in Canada I go to the gym 6 days a week so did a bit more advanced program)

Start with 10 mins of cardio on the elliptical, then

Back - Bent Over Rows
    Chest - Bench Press
    Deltoid - Barbell Upright Row
    Quadriceps - Squat
    Hamstrings - Seated Leg Curl Machine
    Abdominal - Either sit ups with weights, or any ab machine in the gym

If you want, end with 5 - 10 mins of more cardio.

Since I go to the gym 3 days a week, and like to isolate my arm muscles, I also do Pull Ups on one of the days, Tricep dips on one of the days, and forearm curls on one of the days.. but this isn't strictly needed.

If you've never been to the gym before that workout may take a while, but once you're used to it, should take no more than 1 hour - 1 hour and 15 mins, and will get you results, even if you don't change your diet, but especially if you do change your diet.

Each weight exercise is performed in the range of 10 - 12 reps, with you barely being able to do the last rep. If you can do more than 12, add weight, if you can do less than 10, reduce weight. Do each set 3 times.

If you don't like that program, make your own with this website... the best exercises they list are in bold: http://www.exrx.net/Workouts/Workout1LTA.html

In my opinion, avoid machines, use free weights whenever possible, as this will build actual strength, and get you toned faster.

That's it guys, 3 days a week, 3 hours a week, use my formulas to control your diet, get enough protein and reduce calories, and I promise you, in just 3 weeks, you will look and feel so much better than you do now.

Wanting to start some new habits today, wish me luck guys.

Over the years, I've felt quite bad about the time spent aspiring to this goal of physical fitness. But the older I get, and the more experience I acquire, the more I realize that this battle will never truly be won. It's life-long. I need to stop acting like this is a sprint and start treating it as a marathon, as they say.

It's probably been over three years since I started the original Let's Lose Fat thread. I encourage everyone to participate in this one. I'll be logging whatever exercises I perform and my experiences with the diet.

- The Administration

Quote Originally Posted by Gohan3k View Post
    I don't like insanity, because, I firmly believe the key to losing FAT is, controlled caloric deficit + weight training, and have the results to back this claim up, and did tons of research to initially come up with the theory.
    Insanity isn't designed for losing fat as much as improving your overall fitness, any fat loss is just a pleasant side effect. Within the first month of introducing Insanity into my P90X schedule my VO2 Max and resting heart rate levels improved drastically.

I did the chest/triceps/shoulders P90X routine today. It kicked my ass! I only made it 45 minutes, with some cheating.

I didn't really eat that well and I drank a Mtn Dew (my last can) but I plan on cleaning up my diet more in the next couple days. What I'd really like to do is try is get started with IF.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Insanity isn't designed for losing fat as much as improving your overall fitness, any fat loss is just a pleasant side effect. Within the first month of introducing Insanity into my P90X schedule my VO2 Max and resting heart rate levels improved drastically.

Word. If a goal of yours is better cardiorespiratory fitness, going to the gym and lifting weights isn't enough. An added benefit is that Insanity works out your core like crazy if you keep it engaged the whole time. And I actually do the routine from the Insane Abs video on the mats at my gym. The stretching before and after each workout is great for improving flexibility dramatically, which is a key component of overall fitness and it'll also help a lot when it comes to lifting which is why I think Insanity is a great tool to integrate into a fitness routine alongside lifts.

---------- Post added at 03:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I did the chest/triceps/shoulders P90X routine today. It kicked my ass! I only made it 45 minutes, with some cheating.

I didn't really eat that well and I drank a Mtn Dew (my last can) but I plan on cleaning up my diet more in the next couple days. What I'd really like to do is try is get started with IF.
    What's IF?

- The Administration

Quote Originally Posted by True Majin View Post
    Word. If a goal of yours is better cardiorespiratory fitness, going to the gym and lifting weights isn't enough. An added benefit is that Insanity works out your core like crazy if you keep it engaged the whole time. And I actually do the routine from the Insane Abs video on the mats at my gym. The stretching before and after each workout is great for improving flexibility dramatically, which is a key component of overall fitness and it'll also help a lot when it comes to lifting which is why I think Insanity is a great tool to integrate into a fitness routine alongside lifts.

---------- Post added at 03:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 AM ----------

What's IF?
    Intermittent fasting. A long period of fasting or eating very little followed by a brief period of feeding.

Most popular IF approach: http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

zzzzzzzzzz.JPG

I will answer all of your questions for $1.99 per word used in my response.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    zzzzzzzzzz.JPG

I will answer all of your questions for $1.99 per word used in my response.
    Deposited in the Wank Bank. Feel free to post more pictures, you beautiful little OCD bastard.

I am so sore from my P90X workout.

P90X does yield good results for a lot of people. I also know quite a few people use a hybrid of P90X and Insanity. I checked out P90X-2 and I personally didn't get it. I think P90X would have better results.
    Occasional visitor.