Thread: Travels

Travels

In the last year and next year I'm going to be, or have been traveling a lot more than usual.

Use this thread to post about places you've been, and maybe even post pictures from there. I don't have a lot of time right now, but I shall be filling this thread with my adventures and pictures of fun things I saw.

Currently Living in Liverpool, but within England I've been to Birmingham, London and Coventry.
    Went to Amsterdam, Ibiza Spain and Barcelona Spain last year.
    Also drove to NYC for the first time last year.
    I am leaving for Rome Saturday morning, and back Tuesday
    Going all over Australia and Japan this summer
    More places in Europe are planned for next year, probably Belgium (I've been there if you count airports!), Germany, Switzerland, Ireland and Scotland, or at least I hope to go to most of those places. Venice would be cool too.
    Vegas is currently "roughly" planned for July 2013

holy shit I waste money ><

Seems like money well spent to me, mang.

As Treasurer of MU SSDP in the 2008-2009 school year, I was able to accompany the other 3 members of the executive committee to the Greater Baltimore-DC area for that year's national SSDP conference. It was quite an interesting experience. We arrived at the hotel Thursday night (don't recall exactly which one it was), and the conference was held I think about 5-10 miles away from it at UMD (University of Maryland, where, incidentally, an online 'friend' of mine that I've gotten to know quite well over AIM, FB and this online gov't sim we used to frequent, goes to school; or went cuz I think he graduated by now; unfortunately, I forgot to tell him in advance, so we couldn't actually meet up :/).

Friday was 'lobby day' or whatever, so all the various university chapters lobbied their Congressmen and Senators for that year's 'big legislation.' That year's was a bill to end the crack-cocaine sentencing disparity. The official SSDP slogan for that was "Crack the Disparity", heh. But it was pretty cool to actually be in DC for a day, observe all the sights and actually enter one of the official Congressional buildings (where Congressmen's offices are). Not everyday you get that chance

I ended up eating lunch at a cool DC pizzeria. It was deep dish and awesome. Probably at least 7 or 8 slices. mmmmm...

At one point, we were even like probably only 50-100 yards away from those iconic main Capitol Hill stairs! For a big SSDP members' group photo near the end of the day, if I recall

Hell, I even saw the first and only Onion kiosk (or whatever those things are called) I've ever seen period (which is pretty rare, I think) near UMD or somewhere close by.

I also ate a big 'dinner' at McDonald's by myself while the other guys were at some SSDP afterparty or whatever(about 200-300 feet away, although cold as fuck considering it was November) around 7 PM on Friday or Saturday night (3 cheeseburgers, a large fry or 2 and a McFlurry)

I also spent close to $200 on soda, snacks and other shit at 7-11 there. Yeah, probably not the wisest decision but who cares... That's the closest thing I've ever had to a real vacation that I'd remember well. The other outings with my mom and my sis in the years prior (and after) were just bare-minimum shit barely out-of-state during the summer (once at Tan-Tar-A). I don't fault Mom or blame her, though, since her job isn't exactly the highest-paying, but that trip to DC was the shit compared to that other stuff.

---------- Post added at 05:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gohan3k View Post

Currently Living in Liverpool, but within England I've been to Birmingham, London and Coventry.
    Went to Amsterdam, Ibiza Spain and Barcelona Spain last year.
    Also drove to NYC for the first time last year.
    I am leaving for Rome Saturday morning, and back Tuesday
    Going all over Australia and Japan this summer
    More places in Europe are planned for next year, probably Belgium (I've been there if you count airports!), Germany, Switzerland, Ireland and Scotland, or at least I hope to go to most of those places. Venice would be cool too.
    Vegas is currently "roughly" planned for July 2013
    Holy shit am I jealous
    I haven't been out of the country yet, and already you've traveled half the world, it seems!
    Last edited by Head; 03-30-2012 at 07:39 AM.

The only traveling I do is from Ottawa to back home. Did go to Florida twice, but that's over 10 years ago.

I guess it would be a good idea to get my passport since I will possibly be going to a destination wedding in the near future.
    Occasional visitor.

Nice places you've been to. I'm jelly.

Only time I ever went outside the US was when I drove to Alaska from Washington state (a pilgrimage I recommend everyone to take). I've lived in FL, MT, WA, and AK. I've also visited TX and PA.

From Alaska to Washington state?? Sounds like quite a drive.

stage dives & high fives Spitty's Avatar
    I haven't left the North America craton.

In 2007, I drove with some friends to Santa Barbara, California to Sound and Fury fest, and Nashville a few times. We stopped in Vegas for a few days before heading to California, and that was a lot of fun. I wish I had been into geology at the time as it would've made it an even funner trip as we spent a lot of time driving through the mountains.

In 2009 and 2011, the same group of friends and I went to This Is Hardcore fest in Philadelphia. That city is a lot of fun. There is a place called Sazon's that has the greatest chocolate ever.

I went to Rhinelander, WI to do geology shit for my mineralogy class last fall. There is a lot of really cool geology going on up there. It's in stark contrast to the lower half of the state/Northern Illinois as during the last couple ice ages, most of the boring rock has been scrapped away leaving really old, rare rocks exposed for study. We stayed in Rhinelander, but we traveled throughout Northern Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

This December, same group of friends and I flew to Boston for the American Nightmare reunion. Boston is probably my favorite major city that I've been to that's not Chicago. Tons of awesome food, and just a lot of cool things to do.

Next weekend, I'll be traveling with my Volcanology class to the St. Francois Mountains in Missouri to study ancient volcanoes/calderas, which should be fun. The weekend after that, I'm going to Baraboo, WI with my Structure and Dynamics class to do field work and mapping, which should also be fun.

I've also been to Florida, New York and Virginia for vacations.

N. America: I've been to most of the states on the east coast. I'll list the ones that were more vacation-oriented and not just visiting family/friends: New Hampshire, Mass., Maryland, Washington DC, N. Carolina, S. Carolina, Georgia, Florida. I went to Colorado (Denver) for the DNC in 2008. I've visited California on a number of occasions and Nevada twice. Including Illinois I think that's about everywhere I've been inside the US. I may be going to Tennessee in June (fingers crossed) and I'd love to see the states in the southwest and northwest.

I've been to Toronto, and would love to see Vancouver at some point.

Asia: Pakistan a number of times, UAE a couple times, and Saudi Arabia. One day I'd love to see Syria, Lebanon, Iran, Egypt, and Turkey at the very least. Singapore, Korea, Japan, Thailand, Tibet, and India are all on my list as well.

Europe: Never been, except many, many stopovers at Manchester Airport. Hope to one day visit most of Europe, notably England, Spain (especially southern Spain which used to be predominantly Muslim), Amsterdam.

S. America: Brazil for the 2014 World Cup!!

Africa: Never been. I tried to go to S. Africa for the last world cup but couldn't get decently priced tickets. Also could have been in Kenya right now doing archaeological research but I got nervous about the political situation in East Africa right now. There's a lot in Africa that I'd like to see.
    SIGNATURE DELETED DUE TO MALWARE CLEAN UP YOUR ACT ASSHOLE

- The Administration

United States: Have lived in Connecticut, West Virginia, and Ohio. Have visited: Florida (vacation), Massachusetts (family), New Hampshire (vacation), Maine (vacation), Washington D.C. (school trip), Virginia (family), Tennessee (bonnaroo), Kentucky (vacation), Indiana (family), Michigan (vacation), Illinois (family), California (vacation), and Pennsylvania (vacation).

Canada: Ontario (friends), New Brunswick (vacation), Nova Scotia (vacation), and Prince Edward Island (vacation).

I would love to travel elsewhere but unfortunately it costs a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Head View Post
    From Alaska to Washington state?? Sounds like quite a drive.
    Did it twice. Awesome drive. Takes a few days though.

Errrm... off the top of my head, India almost every other year of my life.

States:
    Vegas x3, Miami, Orlando, New York City.

Canada:
    Vancouver

Europe:
    Ukraine (Kiev), Poland (Krakow), Latvia (Riga), Slovakia (Bratislava), Spain (Marbella x3, Madrid, Valencia), Hungary (Budapest), France (Paris), Ireland (Dublin x2), Russia (Moscow), Italy (Rome).

UK:
    Scotland, Wales, England (duh)

Going Amsterdam in May, Barcelona in June, might go Vancouver in August and going to India this September. Will probably be back in Vegas some time in the next 14 months and should be going to Toronto for a wedding next year. I think that's it...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Did it twice. Awesome drive. Takes a few days though.
    Don't you have to go through, like, 2 or 3 Canadian provinces just to get there?

---------- Post added at 01:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Spitty View Post

In 2009 and 2011, the same group of friends and I went to This Is Hardcore fest in Philadelphia. That city is a lot of fun. There is a place called Sazon's that has the greatest chocolate ever.
    Hm... Sazon's, you say?

---------- Post added at 01:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Errrm... off the top of my head, India almost every other year of my life.

States:
    Vegas x3, Miami, Orlando, New York City.

Canada:
    Vancouver

Europe:
    Ukraine (Kiev), Poland (Krakow), Latvia (Riga), Slovakia (Bratislava), Spain (Marbella x3, Madrid, Valencia), Hungary (Budapest), France (Paris), Ireland (Dublin x2), Russia (Moscow), Italy (Rome).

UK:
    Scotland, Wales, England (duh)

Going Amsterdam in May, Barcelona in June, might go Vancouver in August and going to India this September. Will probably be back in Vegas some time in the next 14 months and should be going to Toronto for a wedding next year. I think that's it...
    How... the.. fuck?

Haven't made it very far. Plans for Vegas a couple times in the next year and a trip to New York sometime in September of this year or next year. Other then that, visit back home in Ohio in June.

Still sounds pretty good.

I've never really "been" to New York... unless you count being stuck in traffic for 3 hours on the GW bridge. I've talked to Sk8 a couple times about coming up to visit and as long as I don't fall asleep driving through Pennsylvania, I think it'd be do-able this summer.

Hit me up if you're around, Syk0. There are always great free shows in the city during the summer.
    SIGNATURE DELETED DUE TO MALWARE CLEAN UP YOUR ACT ASSHOLE

- The Administration

rome was incredible.

oddly enough (I'm not Christian) the Vatican was the highlight of my trip. it's an architectural masterpiece, walking around it, and going to the top was amazing. I'll post some pictures soon, just got back

The Kids Aren't Alright Lilkillumup's Avatar
    God I miss all the travelling I used to do....being broke bites... x.x

The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?